Durham strengthen hold on second spot in BUCS table

by

A sporting year of huge success has propelled Durham University to an unprecedented second place in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Points table.

After two terms of sporting action, Durham have left closest rivals Leeds Met, Bath and Birmingham trailing in their wake as they target a best-ever finish of second place.

Durham have never finished higher than fourth before, and the lofty heights achieved thus far in 2011/12 can be attributed to widespread successes across the whole sporting spectrum.

Indeed, this year Durham’s teams played in 60 leagues, winning 22, finishing second in 13 and third in 11.

Northern Premier League titles were secured in women’s tennis, basketball, lacrosse, fencing and hockey and men’s rugby, lacrosse and hockey.

Second-place finishes came in women’s rugby, men’s tennis and men’s basketball.

The national Championships, held last month in Sheffield, also brought a multitude of medals (and points).

Highlights included stunning gold triumphs in the women’s hockey, men’s lacrosse, women’s basketball, women’s futsal and women’s tennis (single and double).

Men’s hockey, rugby – in another momentous visit to Twickenham – and basketball were national runners-up, while women’s fencing and netball reached the championship semi-finals.

National Trophy triumphs were achieved by men’s rugby 2nds, women’s football and women’s volleyball.

Northern Conference cup finals were won by women’s tennis 3rds, men’s rugby 3rds, men’s and women’s hockey 2nds, men’s lacrosse 2nds and men’s volleyball 1sts.

In total, thirty sports have contributed points to Durham’s historic campaign, with many more promised from the upcoming summer sports.

Cricket, cycling, rugby sevens, sailing and athletics have all started this term, and will hopefully strengthen the university’s grip on second place in the standings.

BUCS – as it has been known since 2008 after the merging of the University College Sport (UCS) and British University Sports Association (BUSA) organisations – governs all university sport in the United Kingdom.

It awards  points to every team depending on their league finish or performance in the cup, while in individual competitions the top four finishers usually earn points for their university.

For more information on British University and Colleges Sport -and to keep up to date with Durham’s quest for a highest-ever finish – visit their website at www.bucs.org.uk

One thought on “Durham strengthen hold on second spot in BUCS table

• So don’t explain what BUCS is anywhere… I know you can google it, but you shouldn’t have to.