Durham sports teams launch fundraising efforts to tackle Covid-19

With all college and inter-university sport cancelled amid the outbreak of Covid-19, several of the University’s sports teams have commenced fundraising drives to support efforts to combat the spread and impact of the virus.

Durham University Hockey Club, fresh off the back of a season which saw four of their teams reach Finals Day, took on their counterparts at the University of Nottingham in a #handstanduptocorona challenge on Wednesday 16 April, winning thanks to a Twitter poll after the sides were deadlocked.

Set by kit manufacturer PlayerLayer, each club had to take a picture of as many players doing a handstand as possible, with players and supporters alike donating to the NHS Charities Together via a JustGiving page.

Durham MCCU, as a cricket club, have had their season cancelled in entirety and will instead donate an astonishing £2,000 to Durham Foodbank and NHS Charities Together’s COVID-19 Urgent Appeal.

The funds, provided by the club’s players, would have been spent on fulfilling their fixtures over the summer and will be supplemented by the launch of the #DUCCchallenge.

As part of this, individuals have to film themselves keeping a ball in the air with the edge of a bat, donate to their virginmoneygiving.com page, and upload it online with nominations.

This has raised £1,035 at the time of writing.

“The game is put into perspective at times of crisis like this and it is our wish that if there is no cricket played, our money can at least make a difference somewhere,” commented club captain Will Whipple.

Elsewhere, Durham University Lawn Tennis Club and Durham University Netball Club have today embarked on running challenges which will see their players run 1,000 and 1,407 kilometres respectively over the next seven days.

As a team, DULTC will run the equivalent distance of Durham to Wimbledon and back, whilst DUNC’s target distance matches that of Land’s End to John O’Groats.

The link to DULTC’s fundraising page is here, and this is that of DUNC. At the time of writing, they have raised £295 and £1,025 respectively.

Meanwhile, Durham University Rugby Club host a weekly pub quiz on their Facebook page with £1 entry per person. All proceeds go to NHS Charities Together, and the next event is tonight at 9 p.m.

Image: DURFC