Durham seek hat-trick in the York Varsity

A selection of Durham’s best college sports teams will be travelling to York on Sunday 28th February to defend the university’s title in the Durham vs York College Varsity. Competing across 13 different sports in A and B fixtures, every Durham will field at least one sports team to face a team from a York college. The Palatinates will be looking to maintain their unbeaten record in this competition after winning the previous two encounters, the latter being a comprehensive 60-36 victory over their York rivals.

The proceedings commence at 10am with a glut of fixtures across a variety of sports. Collingwood and Marys play Halifax and Langwith respectively, while the amalgamated team of Caste and Cuths will be looking to get Durham’s day off to a winning start in the B Women’s 7s Rugby fixture. At the same time, Women’s Football kicks off with Premiership title contenders Grey A and Josephine Butler A in action against Alcuin and Vanbrugh.

As the morning progresses, B fixtures will be played in Basketball, Squash, Hockey and Men’s Rugby, offering fans quite the range of sports to spectate upon. However by midday, the big A Team clashes appear in the timetable, beginning with Derwent vs Ustinov in Men’s Basketball and another alliance act, as ‘Milbut’ take on a TBC confirmed York college in Women’s 7s Rugby.

After lunch, the headline fixtures come thick and fast. Grey A will be looking to overcome James in the A Netball match, while Collingwood will be looking to do likewise on the squash court in their A fixture. In the Men’s Rugby, Aidans A will hope to emulate the incredible performance of Collingwood last year, who thrashed James 65-9 in this fixture last year. At the same time, Castle A will represent Durham in the Mens Football A fixture against Halifax, coinciding with Hatfield’s encounter with Goodricke in the Mixed Hockey A Game.

In the late afternoon fixtures, the contest will be surely be determined by the outcomes of the A fixtures in Hockey, Badminton and Volleyball. However as last year proved, the Varsity might not be settled on the pitch but instead on the oche. Last year, it was Butler who sealed Durham’s Varsity victory, with their winning doubles against Langwith. This time around, the responsibility of rounding the day off and potentially bringing the title home falls upon Castle A and Trevelyan A, with both matches beginning at 18:00pm.

Each year, the Durham vs York college Varsity has expanded and become even better. The event at Maiden Castle in 2015 was a resounding success and York will have a lot to do as hosts to reproduce the raucous carnival-esque atmosphere. The Varsity is an excellent opportunity for college sport players to sample the life of a university sports athlete; representing the Palatinates against a rival institution. Here’s hoping that Durham’s college teams can make it a hat trick of victories on the 28th February.

Photograph: Team Durham