University of Durham, Palace Green Durham Cathedral

Durham retains QS top 100 ranking

Durham University has officially retained its place as a world top 100 university, according to the QS World University Rankings – although the University’s score has declined since last year from 74th to come in at joint-78th with Sheffield.

17 of Durham’s 27 subjects offered have been ranked in the world’s top 100 departments for their subject, with nine subjects in the top 50 and three subjects in the top ten.

Reputation, research citations and the productivity and impact of published work are all considered from 1368 institutions in order to compile the annual league table, which has graded Durham’s research output “Very High”. 

The ranking for Durham has declined since 2019, which placed the University at 74th. This was itself lower than 2016 when Durham was ranked at 61st. However, these improve on the ranking from 2015 ranking which placed Durham at 92nd.

Philosophy has fallen from its top 50 ranking, whilst Accounting & Finance has fallen out of the top 100. Sports & Exercise Sciences have entered the top 100, and Classics & Ancient History has risen within a year from 31st to 12th place. 

Durham scores highly in Employer Reputation, International Students and International Faculty, but lost points for the amount of contact students are estimated to have with lecturers.

For graduate employability, Durham scores 88th, and the report shows 55% of current Durham undergraduate students are international.

Archaeology has risen to join Theology & Religion as Durham’s top departments, both placing fourth best globally. Geography has just held onto a top ten position, ranking in at tenth best. 

The QS World University is one of several league tables used to compare universities, with the Guardian University Guide ranking Durham at fifth for the UK, whilst the Times World University places Durham at 133rd.

Image: Terry Straehly via Flickr