Durham recognised for improving gender equality

Durham University Anthropology DepartmentBy

Earlier this month Durham University received two awards for advancing gender equality in both its Anthropology and Geography departments.

The national awards, which celebrate improvements to gender equality in UK arts, humanities and social science university departments, were presented by the Equality Challenge Unit (ECU), a charity that aims to promote equality for staff employed in the higher education sector.

According to the ECU, Durham’s Anthropology and Geography departments have built a culture that will improve the progression and success of gender equality in staff and students.

Durham’s Department of Anthropology currently employs 37 male members of staff in academic and research positions, compared with 43 female members of staff, whilst the Department of Geography employs 69 male members of staff in academic and research positions, with 51 female members of staff.

Although Durham University received awards in two of its departments, the Universities of Chester, Essex, Winchester, Aberystwyth and SOAS, University of London, each received an award for promoting gender equality across all of their arts, humanities and social science departments.

Professor Helen Ball, Head of Durham’s Department of Anthropology, commented:

“It is very pleasing to receive this recognition of our efforts in promoting equality within our Department and across our University.

“Our future goals are to ensure that explicit recognition of gender equality is maintained, encompasses all genders, inspires students and colleagues in other departments, and catalyses culture change within the academic workplace and beyond.”

Durham University already holds the ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter award for advancing gender equality in all of its science departments.

Photograph: Durham University

One thought on “Durham recognised for improving gender equality

• Really well deserved, I graduated this year from one of these departments and there was a clear improvement throughout my university time, both in the department and in the college. I went from nearly dropping out and trying to find a more modern university in my first year to ultimately feeling very respected and happy by graduation. Wonderful progress.