Durham officially welcomes new students

By Matriculation

Thousands of new students have attended the University’s prestigious matriculation ceremonies in Durham Cathedral to officially inaugurate their university careers.

Five matriculation ceremonies were held on Wednesday 1st October for undergraduate and postgraduate students of the sixteen colleges.

Michael Sadgrove, the Dean of Durham, and John Robinson, the Mayor of Durham City, attended the ceremonies.

Durham Student Union’s President Dan Slavin advised new students to get involved with everything on offer in Durham. Slavin put particular emphasis on fresher involvement with DUCK, the DSU’s charity wing, which recently won Student Fundraising Group of the Year.

Jonathan Gilmour, who joins Collingwood to read Physics, told Palatinate: “Matriculation really made us feel part of the wider Durham community.

“Freshers has been the best introduction to college life.”

Also leading the ceremonies were the University’s three Pro-Vice Chancellors, in place of Chris Higgins, the former Vice Chancellor. Higgins stepped down earlier this year but a successor has yet to be found.

Students gathered in colleges to ceremoniously walk to the Cathedral, playing loud music and singing college chants.

Matriculation takes place ahead of the new academic year commencing on Monday.

Photograph by Durham University