Durham off to flying start in BUCS

With a new academic year now underway, Team Durham have kicked off the new British Universities and College Sport (BUCS) campaign in fine form.

In the men’s Super Rugby series, the UK’s premier inter-university rugby league, Durham triumphed 25-18 over Bath thanks to three tries and a number of conversions from Nathan Wyman at Rosslyn Park on Friday 4 October.

Five days later, in the first Wednesday of the year, there was plenty of action here in Durham, with the men’s and women’s football 1s beating Birmingham and Edinburgh’s 1s 3-0 and 4-0 respectively.

Edinburgh were also the opposition for a women’s lacrosse double header, with Durham’s 1s and 2s both running out winners by considerable margins; the 2s’ 17-5 win was followed soon after by a 15-6 victory for the 1s.

Indeed, lacrosse was where Durham enjoyed their best successes on the day, with all seven teams winning and none conceding more than six points.

The first of the Durham-Newcastle derbies of the season took place on the hockey pitches at Maiden Castle, as the men’s and women’s 4s secured +3-1 and 2-1 wins over their local rivals. This comes after DUHC’s intensive preseason in preparation for altered competition this season.

Indoors, on the badminton court, the men’s 1s dispatched Birmingham’s 1s 7-1 whilst the 2s triumphed 5-3 in a tight, hard-fought match against York’s 1s.

In netball, losses for the 1s and 3s were offset by victories for the 2s, 4s and 5s, as the men’s tennis 1s’ sumptuous 12-0 win against Loughborough’s 1s was mirrored by equally impressive 3-0 victories for the men’s and women’s volleyball 1s against Newcastle and Sheffield Hallam.

Image courtesy of Durham University Women’s Lacrosse