Durham climbs up to 6th Place in the 2025 Complete University Guide Ranking

Durham University has been named the 6th best university in the UK, according to the Complete University Guide, making it the best in the North East and a Top 5 university in England. Durham University has risen two places since the 2024 survey, which saw it placed 8th.

The ranking, which considers ten measures such as student satisfaction, staff to student ratio and graduate prospects, awarded 1st place to University of Cambridge, 2nd place to Oxford, 3rd to LSE, 4th to St Andrews and 5th to Imperial College London.

Durham University saw a rise in the ranking due to an improvement in graduate prospects (along with an increase in spending on both university facilities and academic services). Durham’s graduate prospect rate rose from 85% to 89% – measured by success in employability in highly skilled careers and postgraduate study, 15 months after graduation

However, complete University Guide figures show that there was a decline in the score for student satisfaction, falling from a score of 3.88 to 3.07.

Durham University saw a rise in the ranking due to an improvement in graduate prospects

Simon Emmett, CEO of IDP Connect, the parent company of The Complete University Guide, commented that the ranking is “an essential compass for students navigating their academic journey. Rooted in unwavering independence, the guide empowers students with crucial insights, ensuring trust and reliability in their decision-making process. Beyond mere rankings, the guide addresses key concerns like cost of living and local crime rates, serving as a comprehensive resource for students and parents alike.”

The highly anticipated The Sunday Times 2025 League Table and The Guardian 2025 University Guide are expected to be released later this year.