Durham City Centre café Esquires Coffee closes

Durham’s branch of the Esquires Coffee chain has been put back on the rental market, indicating it has permanently closed.

The popular café, located next to Framwellgate Bridge and well known for its large glass front, closed in November 2020 due to the second national lockdown. It failed to re-open when restrictions eased in December and equipment appears to have been removed from the premises. The retail unit at 22/22a Silver Street recently appeared for lease on Bradley Hall Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents’ website, listed for an annual rent of £95,000.

Durham City was ranked tenth in the UK in towns that have been worst hit by the economic fallout of the pandemic

No comment has been made on the branch’s social media since its November closure. The café is just one of many recent high street closures in Durham, following the departure of Topshop, EE, Cotswold Outdoor and Dicksons from Silver Street last year.

Durham’s retail and hospitality sector have been severely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, losing revenue due to multiple lockdowns and reduced student presence in the city this academic year.

Recently, Durham City was ranked tenth in the UK in towns that have been worst hit by the economic fallout of the pandemic, having lost £17 million in six months in 2020, according to research carried out by Studee, an education consultancy company.

https://www.dunelm.org.uk/donations/palatinate