Durham climbs 13 places in latest world university rankings

Bill Bryson Library (interior)By

Durham University has continued to reinforce its place among the world’s leading universities, having climbed 13 places to 70th in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University 2015-16.

The latest follow the University’s success in the recent publication of the QS World University 2015-16, which saw Durham rise a record 31 places to 61st globally.

The THE World University 2015-16 ranks the world’s leading universities according to five different categories: teaching, research, citations, international outlook, and industry income.

Durham has risen credibly in the categories of teaching and research, where the University is placed among the world’s leading institutions, and continues to perform strongly within the categories of citations and international outlook.

The University’s achievements in both the THE and QS world charts its earlier success this year in securing a place in the THE World Reputation Review’s top 100 for reputation, based on the world’s largest invitation-only survey of academic opinion.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice Chancellor of Durham University, said: “Durham is a global university, recognised by both students and academics for its excellence in teaching and research.

“The significant rises we have made in the THE and the QS world reflect the strength of Durham’s position globally and highlight the world class experience on offer at the University.

“These are a credit to everyone at the University in helping us to achieve these outstanding results.”

Phil Baty, Editor of the THE World University Rankings, said: “The results are trusted by students and their families, academics, university leaders, and governments.

“For Durham University to make 70 in the world is an outstanding achievement to be celebrated.”

Photograph: Durham University