Durham cements position as a world top 100 university

Library-SamuelSpencer-12By Ryan Gould 

Durham University has retained its status as one of the world’s top 100 universities based on reputation in the Times Higher Education (THE) World Reputation Review for 2015, finishing in 81st place.

The ranking, based on an invitation-only survey of academic opinion featuring 10,500 respondents from 142 countries, reaffirms the University’s consistent position among the world’s top 100.

THE’s new table ranks institutions according to an overall measure of their esteem that combines data on their reputation for research and  teaching.

The University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford, the UK’s highest scoring institutions, were ranked 2nd and 3rd, while Harvard University tops the list in 1st place.

The University of Manchester (50th), King’s College London (31st), University of Edinburgh (29th), London School of Economics and Political Science (22nd), University College London (17th), and Imperial College London (14th) all finished higher than Durham in the new rankings.

Talking of the new findings, Acting Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ray Hudson said: “This ranking demonstrates that the quality of the research and teaching at Durham University continues to be recognised and respected globally.

“Our performance in this and other influential league tables reflects our commitment to achieving the highest levels of excellence in education and research.

“The survey is important as it targets experienced academics who offer their views on excellence in research and teaching within their disciplines and at institutions with which they are familiar.”

Professor Hudson added: “Durham students benefit from academic learning with some of the world’s finest researchers as well as the opportunity to develop key skills that are highly valued by leading employers, such as leadership, critical thinking and entrepreneurship.”

Durham is currently ranked 83rd in the Times Higher Education World University 2014-2015, and 92nd in the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University 2014-15, where it fell two places from 90th when the results were released last year.

Photograph:

2 thoughts on “Durham cements position as a world top 100 university

• People get confused by the different types of rankings. This reputations rankings in based on academics’ assessments of universities. For this very reason, this type of ranking is more relevant to the academics themselves, and perhaps to post graduate students who are research driven and looking to pursue a career in academia. Higher research ratings do not necessarily translate into better teaching or academic experience of students (focus on research is often thought to hinder classroom teaching).

Students who are interested in joining the workforce upon graduation should be more concerned with reputations rankings based on feedback from EMPLOYERS. Employer-based reputation rankings tend to correlate more highly with university admission requirements and therefore quality of the student base, and prestige.

On this basis, students seeking to become professionals in highly paid industries in the UK (e.g law or investment banking) are better served attending either Durham or Warwick over Manchester, Kings or Edinburgh who made the top 50 in this league table.

Just because university staff may have a Nobel prize or publish in top journals doesn’t make the teaching any better, and certainly does not make students any smarter / or desirable to employers (in the professional world at least).