Durham Careers Centre launches program to support student entrepreneurs

The University Careers and Enterprise Centre has anounced a new program to promote and support “entrepreneurial spirit” in students and graduates.

The new Hazan Venture Lab will be situated on the science site and is designed to provide support for students looking to enter an entrepreneurial career, including workshops, networking oppourtunities, and pitching events. A £500,000 donation from businessman and Durham alumni Jonathan Hazan was used to develop the lab.

“With my donation, I’m hoping to stimulate interest in innovation and help equip students with the skills they need to start and grow their own businesses.”

-Jonathan Hazan

“Investment in innovation and enterprise development are key to a healthy economy and with the government’s “Levelling up” agenda, regional centres of excellence such as Durham University are seeing a renewed focus.

“With my donation, I’m hoping to stimulate interest in innovation and help equip students with the skills they need to start and grow their own businesses. I’m delighted to see the launch of the new building and I’m looking forward to the Venture Lab coming to life!”

Starting next academic year, the lab will also run the Durham Venture School programme, a start-up creator course for graduates which “will be the first of its kind in the Higher Education sector”. The lab will be accessible for all students regardless of thier degree.

The Careers Centre’s full announcement can be found here.

Image: Durham University Business School