Congregation ceremonies postponed until September 2021

Durham University has announced that due to Covid-19 restrictions, congregation ceremonies will be postponed until September 2021.

In an email to all finalists and last year’s graduates, the University said they are working with Durham Cathedral to “determine the exact dates and the number of places available”.

The email also said that the University hopes to “accommodate everybody in September but cannot at this stage guarantee this”, and stressed that it will depend on the social distancing guidelines which then apply.

The University said the ceremonies have been rescheduled for September due to the likelihood that international travel restrictions will still apply in June.

The University announced yesterday that congregations that were planned to take place in Durham Cathedral in April 2021 and June and July 2021 were to be postponed. However, it was unconfirmed when they would be rescheduled for.

This makes this year’s finalists the second year in a row to have their graduation ceremonies postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Graduates will still legally receive their awards and degree documents in June, and will have an opportunity to register interest for the rescheduled ceremonies, and to register for their degree documents in April.

Graduation ceremonies for last year’s graduates were originally intended to happen on April 12th 2021, having been replaced with an online graduation ceremony last year.