College sport update: Collingwood clear but unbeaten Grey impress in women’s hockey

By Ella Jerman and Louis Gibbon

Collingwood lead the way in the College Sport Competition with an impressive 2,433 points which puts clear daylight between them and St Cuthbert’s in second place with 1472 points. Collingwood’s closest contenders last year, Van Mildert, have failed to build on last year’s successes and currently sit in seventh place, only one above St John’s despite having almost three times the number of students.

Men’s Rugby

Collingwood A have continued from where they left off last year. Having gone unbeaten last year, they have started this season in similar fashion, winning all four league fixtures and topping the Premiership at Christmas. Van Mildert A are the only other side boasting a 100 percent record but were on the end of a floodlit cup upset to Trevelyan A.

Collingwood B have been similarly successful, topping Divison One with five wins from five, but are being pushed closely for promotion by Hatfield B and Josephine Butler A. Collingwood and Hatfield As have both impressed in the Floodlit Cup and are on opposite sides of the draw, which could set up another thrilling final between the two later this term.

Men’s Football

It is incredibly tight at the top of the Premiership. Grey A are the only side with an unbeaten record but, with games in hand, they trail St Cuthbert’s A, Collingwood A and Hatfield A, who top the league despite crashing out of the Floodlit Cup to reigning league champions Van Mildert A on penalties. In Division One, St Mary’s A and Trevelyan A look good candidates for promotion.

Men’s Hockey

Collingwood continue their sporting success in the hockey, with the A team sitting five points clear of a strong St John’s A side, who have had a great start to the season. Trevelyan A are in a great position for promotion with seven wins from seven, as are Mary’s A, who also boast a 100% record.

Women’s Football

Last year’s Football Trophy winners Josephine Butler A currently sit 11 points clear at the top of the Premiership table and are still involved in both knockout competitions.

In Division One, unbeaten Grey A look more than likely to secure promotion to the top-flight after having won all five of their league games so far. The league leaders have already caused an upset in the Floodlit Cup by knocking out last season’s double champions Collingwood A on penalties in the first round.

Women’s Hockey

Competition is tight in the Premiership, with five potential contenders in the reckoning for the league title. St Cuthbert’s, Van Mildert, Collingwood and St Mary’s are all level on 12 points to keep up the pressure on Grey A, but knocking them off the top spot will be some feat. They went 19 games unbeaten last season to win both the league and cup and they have extended this incredible run. Having only conceded five league goals since the beginning of the 2016-17 season, teams will have to create something special to break down Grey’s defence.

Netball

Last season’s Premiership runners-up, Collingwood A, are mounting a serious title challenge this year, leading the table having won all seven of their fixtures. Likewise, St John’s A are impressing in Division One with seven wins in seven and an average of 32 goals per game. Just three points behind, both St Cuthbert’s A and Hatfield A are intent on chasing down the league leaders in what looks to be a thrilling promotion race.

Photograph: Grey Women’s Hockey Club