Claypath Deli permitted to keep garden space open

Durham City Council planning committee has granted Claypath Delicatessen permission to keep its outdoor seating area open to customers.

Despite complaints about noise and loss of privacy from two neighbours, the cafe owners successfully argued that the seating area is essential for their business and was granted indefinite permission to use the space.

Deli co-owner, Rory Handy described the garden, which has capacity for up to 25 people, as a “community place”. He told the planning committee that, “had it not been for the outdoor seating area during this pandemic, the business would have suffered immeasurably”.

“We would like to say a big thank you the support over the last 11 years”

claypath Deli

The popular cafe first opened its garden last year, when it was granted a 12-month trial period, but due to Covid-19 restrictions, the space was only in operation for 259 days during this time.

Councillors on the planning committee were satisfied that the garden’s use had not caused unacceptable noise, nuisance, or disturbance during the trial period and voted six-four to allow the deli to continue to operate its outdoor seating area.

The business’ owners celebrated the decision, stating: “we would like to say a big thank you for all the support over the last 11 years, especially over the last couple.

“We love our little deli garden and the opportunity to share it with all our customers.”

Image: Claypath Delicatessen