Celebrations for Lunar New Year to take place in Durham City

Durham celebrates Lunar New Year, the beginning of the year based on the lunar calendar. It is a component of millions of people’s faiths and cultures across the world, part of the Chinese, Tibetan, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish and Islamic calendars.

On Saturday 10th February, a full day has been planned in Durham city centre. In Claypath Library, several drop in activities have been arranged, such as origami and mask making, and drop in Chinese taster sessions. In Dunelm House, there is a planned Tai Chi demonstration, and a school and university showcase, and in the Oriental Museum, the year of the dragon is being celebrated with making dragon decorations for a display.

The New Year celebrations will end on the 24th February, bookended by the Lantern Festival that is planned to be hosted at the Oriental Museum. Plans are for the museum to be decorated with red lanterns, with a musical performance, New Year snacks, dragon dancing and a retelling of a Chinese Zodiac story. Tickets are on sale now for £3, with the event opening from 6-8pm.

A traditional Chinese song will also be performed by international student Yirun.

New Year celebrations will morph into Durham University’s “Global Week”, which promises a wide range of events, including films, talks and performances.

“We are looking forward to welcoming visitors to this event. Our wonderful students always bring so much creativity and enthusiasm to make the museum come to life,” said Charlotte Spink, a Learning Coordinator at the Oriental Museum.

Image: Flying Pharmacist via Wikimedia Commons

One thought on “Celebrations for Lunar New Year to take place in Durham City

• Good article. I’m sure it was fun, but my friends and I made our own party that day 🙂 Did a detective party through murder mystery at home . Very special night. It was like being in a movie. At least it’s worth trying at least once . Fun and I think it’s worth it. At least my friends and I did not regret once, each tried himself as a detective.