Jimmy Allen’s owners: We’re opening a second club in Durham

The owners of Jimmy Allen’s announced their expansion into a second Durham venue in a post on Facebook.

The new club’s name is Fowlers, after the nearby Fowlers Yard, a set of artist studios set in former stables and warehouses which date back to the Victorian era. The owners told Palatinate they plan to open it in the run-up to Michaelmas 2024.

Fowlers will take over newly renovated premises on Back Silver Street, behind Durham’s Market Hall, just off Market Square. It replaces King Pong, formerly Wiff Waff — a ping pong bar and club. King Pong closed its doors in January 2024, sharing the news in a post on Facebook.

The multi-floored venue will have a “karaoke lounge bar” upstairs — Durham’s first — and a downstairs club and bar featuring DJs and live bands. Entry will be free for both karaoke and the club, like Jimmy’s, with potential charges “depending on bands” in the future.

DJ Dave B will “appear at the new venue”, the owners confirmed to Palatinate, alongside a roster of other DJs, with “dedicated karaoke hosts” upstairs. They also confirmed that Fowlers will serve the woodgate, Jimmy’s famous drink.

With it being Durham’s only karaoke bar and with Jimmy’s very loyal following of customers we hope we can make a success out of the venue

Owners

The new venue has opened for bookings for freshers events — the owners say they have “taken quite a few bookings” from student organisations already.

After Palatinate asked about the club’s less prominent location compared to Jimmy’s, the owners explained “with it being Durham’s only karaoke bar and with Jimmy’s very loyal following of customers we hope we can make a success out of the venue”.

Jimmy Allen’s told The Tab, “It goes down the students who support us week in week out. We run Jimmy’s as a fun, welcoming venue with reasonable drinks prices and we genuinely do thank all students who support us”.

Fowlers Durham Ltd, which has the same directors as Jimmy’s, was registered at Jimmy Allen’s address on 1st May 2024. However, the owners have been planning to expand for a lot longer, telling The Tab “we started looking at a venue early in the year around February”.

According to records held by HM Land Registry, the location is leased from Durham Markets Company. Nightclubs originally started operating on the premises after planning  was granted in 1996, under the name Saints, and latterly, The Market Vaults.

Image: Jimmy Allen’s; Mural: Imogen Clarke