Cathedral to auction off ancient stones from renovations

Durham Cathedral will host a first-of-its-kind event, as 60 of the stones that were removed from the top of the UNESCO World Heritage site’s central tower go up for auction.

Removed over the last three years, some of the stones originate from the Victorian period where renovation work was last carried out in 1861.

The auction will be hosted on the 19th of October by local auction house Anderson and Garland in the historic Chapter House. It will be possible to bid in person and online.

To complement the auction, catalogues will be provided, describing the shape, sizes and origins of the stones. These catalogues, along with other information, will be released closer to the date of the actual auction.

Gaye Kirby, the Cathedral’s Head of Development and Strategy, said: “Durham Cathedral has a long history of adorning the skyline of our historic city and the stone auction provides people with an opportunity to literally own a piece of that history.

“All proceeds will go toward supporting our Foundation 2020 endowment campaign and so will forever support the cathedral’s ongoing repair work.”

Foundation 2020 is Durham Cathedral’s campaign to build a £10m endowment fund to cover the costs of the Cathedral’s annual programme of maintenance for the almost 1,000-year-old Norman building.

Every donation will also be matched £1 for £1 by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

Julian Thomson, Chairman and Managing Director at the auction house has also stated “The fact that Durham Cathedral continues to win awards and attract thousands of people each year as one of the UK’s favourite destinations, is testament to the special place it holds in people’s hearts.”

According to Durham cathedral, the stones will also be on display to the general public before the auction. The stones can be found in the DLI memorial garden at the back of the cathedral from the 14th to 19th of October.

Image by