Castle battle to 2-2 draw against Halifax in York Varsity Men’s Football

By Kishan Vaghela 

Halifax College and University College shared the spoils as they played out a 2-2 draw at York University’s 22 Acres.

Halifax immediately imposed themselves on the game immediately and took the lead with the very first attack of the game, with Dunning squeezing the ball past Thomas in the University goal from a low cross from the left-hand side.

The home team had further opportunities to increase their lead, but Bore dragged wide of the goal from distance whilst Heath’s effort at the back post sailed over the bar.

However, Castle striker Weedon’s influence on the game increased, and after putting in a cross which was too high for Whitehouse at the back post, his delivery after a corner to the back post was converted by Whitehouse to restore parity.

The half was fairly contested in the period after the equaliser, until Halifax retook the lead through Heath, who bundled the ball home after a goalmouth scramble. The home side created more chances to extend their advantage, but Waring miskicked from a Heath cross, before he also saw a tame header easily saved from Thomas, and Heath sliced an effort wide after a through ball from a long free-kick.

Nevertheless, Castle equalised with the last play of the first half, as Halifax’s goalkeeper Basu failed to deal with a left-footed volley from Bishop, and could only parry it into the bottom corner.

Shortly after the break, the hosts should have regained the lead, but Heath blazed his effort over the bar from just a few yards out following a low cross from Bore. Halifax once again began to assert their dominance, with Bore and Chadli becoming increasingly involved.

That’s not to suggest Castle created no chances of their own. Evans saw a deflected effort loop over the bar before he sweetly struck a right-footed effort wide following Willis’ flick. University College almost took the lead soon after, Weedon so unfortunate not to score from a delightful through ball, with his effort hitting the base of the post.

Halifax may have won the game late on, but Hall lashed over from a tight angle when others were better placed in the box and Bore saw a free-kick drift just wide to ensure it ended all square.

Photograph: Matt Roberts