BREAKING: Durham in tier four from midnight

Tier four restrictions are to be enacted across the North East from midnight.

County Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside and Sunderland are all set to move up from tier three alongside large parts of the North West, the Midlands and the South West.

The main difference between the two tiers is that individuals are not allowed to leave their houses or travel to areas under a different tier without a “reasonable excuse”; these include work, childcare, shopping and exercise.

Importantly, travelling for and participating in educational activities remains allowed. Although the University is yet to issue a public response, it is therefore expected that the existing plans for a phased, subject-based return to Durham for Epiphany Term will still go ahead.

The Government’s guidance stipulates that non-essential retailers, barbers, indoor gyms, leisure centres, swimming pools, entertainment venues and visitor attractions must all close, though pubs, restaurants and takeaways can remain open for collection and delivery.

Individuals can meet indoors with others provided that they are from the same household, support bubble or care bubble. You are only able to meet one individual who is not from your household or support bubble, and this must be in an outdoors public place.