Balls and performances cancelled amid extreme weather warnings

Event organisers have called off a host of University events due to take place today due to extreme weather warnings. Durham Student Theatre performances, Students’ Union events and a number of college sports fixtures are among the events that have been cancelled this evening.

The University advised all students to stay at their place of residence from 3pm today as the North-East braces itself for the arrival of Storm Arwen, which is expected to bring very high winds and potentially even snow showers. In-person teaching was cancelled as a result this afternoon and students were asked to leave the Bill Bryson Library.

St Mary’s College announced the cancellation of its Michaelmas ball

The Met Office has issued a red weather warning for wind, starting from 3pm on Friday and lasting until 2am on Saturday. The warning will then be downgraded to an amber and then a yellow wind warning on Saturday.

Red weather warnings signal the potential for loss of life. The Met Office anticipates disruption to travel, road closures, power cuts and damage to trees, temporary structures and buildings.

All University lateral flow testing facilities in temporary structures, including the site on the Race Course, have been closed, but testing will continue in the Palace Green cafe site and at the Lindisfarne Centre. Students have been advised that disruption may also be affected on 27th November.

St Mary’s College announced the cancellation of its Michaelmas ball, explaining that they are unable to use their marquee for the event due to high winds and cannot move the event inside due to Covid-19 capacity restrictions.

The college expressed “deep regret” and explained that “other colleges are currently taking similar decisions with regard to their events”.

The History in Politics Society ball has also been called off, organisers expressed the hope of rearranging the ball for a later date.

Purple Radio took the decision to halt all in-person broadcast and podcast recordings, urging contributors not to travel to their studios in the Durham Student Union building.