Women’s Basketball: Mary’s clinch close battle against Van Mildert

basketby

Last Saturday saw another round of Premiership matches for Women’s Basketball. St. Mary’s A’s 24-22 victory over Van Mildert A was perhaps the highlight, being the most closely fought encounter of the weekend.

Neither side had won in their first game and both were adamant not to be defeated again, which made the game a cautious affair in the beginning. However, Mildert were able to capitalise on their height advantage in the paint, with successive offensive rebounds and put-back layups giving them an early lead.

Not to be put out, Mary’s responded well to this early Mildert pressure by using clever ball movement and hitting their open midrange shots. This meant that despite a half time score of 12-16 to Mildert, Mary’s always looked like staying in contention.

The second half saw Mary’s start well as they pushed the pace in transition. This caught Mildert by surprise and Mary’s took the lead midway through the third quarter by converting easy shots on the fast break.

However, Mildert received a timely boost with good guard play and outside shooting from their bench to once again level the game at 20-all at the end of the third quarter.

With a resolute resolve on the defensive end for both teams; scoring in the fourth quarter proved difficult. However, Mary’s were able to hit a couple of contested jumpers and ultimately it was those shots that tilted the game in their favour as they registered their first win of the season.

After the game, Palatinate caught up with the victorious Mary’s Captain. Clearly delighted to win their first game after promotion to the Premiership; she also hopes that the victory will be the first of many in the season.

Elsewhere in the league, the other two games of the afternoon were both one-sided victories. Ustinov A claimed a 36-15 win against Trevelyan A whilst Castle A dismantled Grey A 30-8. With both Ustinov and Castle now boasting a 2-0 record, their eagerly anticipated meeting at the last game of the season could be the potential championship decider.

Photograph: www.wikimedia.org