Who are the players to look out for in the transfer market this summer?

Summer 2024 will long be remembered as when Kylian Mbappe completed his free transfer to Real Madrid. Though no move could top the magnitude of the Frenchman’s switch to Los Blancos, there are countless other players whose transfers will impact European football. As well as these moves between European clubs, it is likely that Saudi Arabia will aim to spend on huge name signings, just as they did last summer. The 2024 Copa América and European Championships will also play a part in the transfer window, and as the world watches, players who may have been relatively unknown before could earn themselves transfers to bigger teams. The intricacies of the market, and the stories that will develop before the window slams shut at the end of August are incredibly interesting, and with that in mind, I have selected players who, in no particular order, I see having the most interesting transfer sagas over the coming months. 

Benjamin Šeško – RB Leipzig

A player who has confirmed they will not be going to Saudi Arabia this summer is 21-year-old Benjamin Šeško. The Slovenian striker, who has scored 18 goals in all competitions this season, has confirmed with his agent that there is no chance he will be leaving Europe, despite two bids from Saudi Pro Leage clubs. Though Leipzig have reportedly offered him a lucrative new contract, there is plenty of interest from clubs in England and Italy, with Arsenal apparently the front runners. The Gunners are allegedly willing to activate the strikers £55 million release clause, in a bid to close the gap on Manchester City. It is also known Manchester United have long-term interest in Šeško and have scouted him since Ralf Rangnick’s recommendation while the striker was at RB Salzburg. Manchester United will be looking for a striker to be competitive with Rasmus Højlund, who since Anthony Martial’s recent departure, is the only senior striker at the club. Chelsea are also keen on the Slovenian to solve their long-term striker woes. Whatever Šeško decides, it is likely we will know sooner rather than later, as he will reportedly make his decision before the start of the European Championships. 

Victor Osimhen – SSC Napoli 

Another striker who has generated interest over the past couple of years is Victor Osimhen. The Nigerian has impressed in his time at Napoli, particularly in the 2022/23 season, where his 31 goals helped guide Napoli to their first scudetto since the 1989/90 season. Though his most recent season has not been as prolific, it is still clear that the 25-year-old is an incredibly gifted footballer. Though the exact figure is unknown, Napoli president De Laurentiis has made it clear that Osimhen has an extremely high release clause, one which many clubs would likely never be able to activate. Despite this, it is still expected that Osimhen will leave this summer, and though Chelsea were seen as frontrunners for his signature, recent reports suggest he is not on their transfer list at this time, though this may change. Instead, it is likely a club with the financial capability such as PSG will seek his signature. The Parisians have a Kylian Mbappe sized hole to fill, and may opt for the Nigerian, who is no stranger to the French league, making 27 appearances for LOSC Lille in the 2019/20 season. The French giants are not the only team in the world who have the financial capability to sign Osimhen though, with reported Saudi Arabian interest in the player. The Nigerian is reportedly open to the possibility of a Saudi Arabian move for the right amount of money, leaving the race at this point fairly open. 

Though his most recent reason has not been as prolific, it is clear that the 25-year-old is an incredibly gifted footballer

Jadon Sancho – Manchester United

The situation surrounding Jadon Sancho in the transfer window is unique. After a difficult time in Manchester since his big money move in July 2021, Sancho looks likely to leave Manchester United following the conclusion of his loan at Borussia Dortmund. A public disagreement with manager Erik ten Hag saw Sancho loaned to Dortmund, where he reached a Champions League final. There are many possibilities over what will happen with Sancho, and at the time of writing, it is still undecided whether Erik ten Hag will be Manchester United manger next season, and it is possible that if a new manager was brought into the club, he may be given another chance at Old Trafford. However, current reports are that Borussia Dortmund wish to keep Sancho as a priority. The issue here, however, is Manchester United may not wish to loan Sancho out again. The current understanding is Borussia Dortmund are not willing to pay for Sancho and aim only to loan him for the entirety of the 2024/25 season. If this is the case, and Manchester United stand by ten Hag, it is likely that they will seek a more permanent solution and look to sell elsewhere in an attempt to boost their summer transfer budget. It will be interesting to see how this saga develops over the coming months, and if any other clubs enter the race for Sancho after his performances in Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League run. 

Ivan Toney – Brentford 

It is no secret that Ivan Toney wishes to leave Brentford. Over the past few months, the Englishman has given countless interviews in which he has expressed his desire to leave the club this summer. With Premier League teams such as Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United interested, it seems Toney will finally have a chance at the highest level for the first time in his career. However, Toney’s recent Premier League ban may worry clubs who wish to make a move for him. As well as this, the way he has shown he wants to leave Brentford could been seen as unprofessional and coupled with opinions on some of his on-pitch actions, clubs may worry that Toney’s personality may not fit with their current squads. It will be interesting to see if Toney does finally get his big move, or ends up staying at Brentford, who reportedly would still like to keep him despite his public appeal for a transfer. 

Jeremie Frimpong – Bayer Leverkusen

Fresh off the back of an undefeated Bundesliga season, Jeremie Frimpong could reportedly be leaving Bayer Leverkusen. After an outstanding personal season, in which the full-back picked up 26 goal contributions in 47 games, he would make an instant impact to any team, and though Xabi Alonso may wish to keep him, the £34 million release clause in his contract will be seen as a bargain to clubs. With Kyle Walker ageing, Manchester City may wish to make a move to re-sign their former youth player who left to join Celtic in 2019. City are not the only team in Manchester keen on signing the 23-year-old, with Erik ten Hag reportedly desperate for the full-backs signature amid reports Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be sold this summer. For £34 million though, any top club in Europe could afford Frimpong, and that is why I believe you should keep an eye on this player, as any team could randomly choose to pursue the Dutch international, particularly if he impresses in the EURO’s. 

After an outstanding personal season, the £34 million release clause in his contract will be seen as a bargain to clubs

Xavi Simons – Paris Saint-Germain

Xavi Simons has impressed many this season on loan at RB Leipzig. When he left France for PSV Eindhoven in 2022, many thought his time at the top of European football may be over before it had really begun, however after a strong season in the Eredivisie, PSG re-signed the young Dutchman, before loaning him to RB Leizig this season, where he impressed. PSG have made it clear to Simons that he will not be leaving the club permanently, and seemingly wish for him to be the new brand figurehead of the club following Kylian Mbappe’s departure. However, the French champions are willing to wait a season for this, with a second loan looking likely. Leipzig would be keen to take him back, however PSG and Simons himself are seemingly keen on a new challenge. The frontrunners are supposedly Barcelona, where Simons played as a boy before moving to PSG. Bayern Munich are also interested, as the player has proved he can play well in the Bundesliga. There is also apparent Premier League interest in the 21-year-old, with Arsenal at one point being keen on him, and current rumours that Manchester City may consider a move for the player. The race for Simons at this point in time is incredibly open, and it is interesting to see where the star will play next season.

Bruno Fernandes – Manchester United

The Manchester United captain has reportedly held talks with other clubs during recent weeks due to the uncertainty at the club. Though Bruno Fernandes has explicitly stated his desire to stay at Manchester United, recent reports suggest Bayern Munich and his agent have held talks, suggesting that Fernandes may in fact be open to leave, and this is likely due to INEOS’ uncertainty regarding the manager. If United do not stabilise the managerial situation and show ambition in this transfer window, he may well seek a move in order to win silverware. As well as this, Fernandes was not included in the apparent list of players who were ‘off-limits’ to other clubs by Sir Jim Ratcliffe. According to certain sources, INEOS are willing to listen to transfer offers for any players apart from Alejandro Garnacho, Kobbie Mainoo and Rasmus Højlund. If an important proposal was received, INEOS themselves may seek to sell him with two years left on his contract for a hefty sum. Though it could be the case Fernandes is simply seeking an improved contract at the club, he is certainly a player to keep an eye on. 

Julián Álvarez – Manchester City

Julián Álvarez has completed football. The 24-year-old has already won the Premier League, Champions League and the World Cup without ever fully breaking into the Argentina or Manchester City first team. During Álvarez’s time at the Etihad, he has consistently been in the shadow of Erling Haaland and Phil Foden, and despite his 33 goal contributions last season, he was never a mainstay in Pep Guardiola’s team. The numbers Álvarez produces are incredible, and he would likely get into the starting XI of any team in world football apart from Manchester City. Álvarez himself recognises he needs more playing time, and with concrete interest from PSG, Atlético Madrid and certain English clubs, it would not be a surprise if the Argentine made a move this summer. Manchester City are currently showing no interest in a loan for Álvarez and will not make it cheap for any club who wants him, so it will be exciting to see how much City ask for him. This transfer is definitely one to keep an eye on, particularly if Argentina do well in the Copa América this summer. 

Image: Steffen Prößdorf via Wikimedia Commons

2 thoughts on “Who are the players to look out for in the transfer market this summer?

• Given his outstanding personal achievements and relatively low cost of the payoff, Frimpong represents a bargain for any top club in Europe. If you want to follow soccer transfers and betting on them, we recommend paying attention to Melbet offers. Regardless of which club decides to sign the Dutch defender, he will undoubtedly make an instant impact on their game.