Where Art Thou, Art?: Summer edition

By Anna Thomas and Madeleine Cater

With a long summer ahead Visual Arts takes a look at what’s on across the country. From north to south, photography to sculpture, we’ve collected a variety of ideas and places to take a peek at.

Irvine, Scotland:

Maritime Perspectives: Collecting Art of a Seafaring Nation at the Scottish Maritime Museum – 1st June to 21st October 2018

Described as ‘capturing life along Scotland’s coastline in all its grit and glory’ this new national collection displays Scotland and her sea in representations from the 1830s up until the modern day.

Newcastle, England:

Great Exhibition of the North held all over Newcastle and Gateshead! – 22nd June to 30th September 2018

A three-month celebration of the North of England’s ‘pioneering spirit’ and influence over art and design. Staged in Newcastle and Gateshead there are exhibitions and events all across the city over the summer, and pretty much all of them are free!

Liverpool, England:

ARTISTS ROOMS: Roy Lichtenstein in Focus at Tate Liverpool – Last chance to see! Closes 17th June 2018

You may not have heard of him, but you will definitely recognise Lichtenstein’s work.  One of the most influential British pop artists, his prints are some of the most iconic. Check him out this summer in Liverpool.

Oxford, England:

Tolkien: Maker of Middle- Earth in the Bodleian Library – 1st June to 28th October 2018

A never-before-seen collection of original manuscripts, drawings, and objects of this much-loved author.

London, England:

Frida Kahlo: Making Her Self Up at the V&A Museum – 16th June to 4th November 2018

A fab new exhibition drawing together personal artifacts and clothing belonging to the iconic Mexican artists. The collection has never been exhibited outside of Mexico and really is a ‘must- see’ for the summer.

Kent, England:

Animals and Us at the Turner Contemporary – 25th May to 30th September 2018

If you’re an animal lover then this is the exhibition for you. Animals and Us explores humans’ relationship with the animal kingdom, from Egyptian artifact to modern reflections with the likes of Andy Warhol and Tracy Emin featuring.

St. Ives, England:

Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden is open Mondays to Sundays over the summer.

A hidden gem in the middle of St Ives, Hepworth’s sculptures are well worth the visit in-between a quick surf and an ice cream.

Cardiff, Wales:

Women in Focus: Part One: Women Behind the Lens at the National Museum Cardiff – 5th May to 11th November 2018

An exhibition which celebrates the contribution of women to photography, from the first pioneering female photographers up until the present day. While this exhibition focuses on women behind the lens, the second part opening in December explores woman as subjects of photography.

Frida Kahlo illustration: Katie Butler

Map graphic and all other illustrations: Anna Thomas