Visual Arts Bulletin 4.3.2019

Ever complained about not being able to find arts events or spaces in Durham? To counter this misperception, Palatinate Visual Arts publishes a fortnightly bulletin of arts events in Durham and surrounding area. Bringing together events across the area, we hope that the bulletin will be somewhere you can find everything that’s going on, all in one place.

Events

Monday 3rd March: Craftivism with Nasty Women North East Nasty Women North East will be holding an informal drop-in craftivism session, creating craft-y ways of sharing info about the fantastic Shout-Up campaign. These works of art will then be left around Ouseburn to spread the word about the campaign. Cumberland Arms Bed and Breakfast, Newcastle, 18:00

Tuesday 5th February and 12th March: Life Drawing DU art soc will be running its weekly life drawing classes. At £1 for members and £3 for non-members. All abilities welcome. Arrive at 19:00-19:15 and begin 19:30, PG21 in Palace Green.

Thursday 7th March: Womansplain and Liberate club night for International Women’s Day An open mic night to celebrate International Women’s Day followed by a Women’s Day club night, hosted by Sightline productions. For all those who identify as female who want to perform in celebration of IWD. Starts 20:00 at Fabio’s Bar

Friday 8th March: Gala-CVAC Lecture on Women Making History Kevin Waite, Rachel Johnson and Alexandra Harrington from Durham University will each introduce an important and inspirational woman who made history. Their chosen figures come from the United States, South Africa and Russia respectively. In the heart of Durham city, they will be celebrating the achievements of women across the world. Starts 17:45 at the Gala Theatre

Thursday 14th March: Femstival Amnesty International hosts a night of live music, poetry, art, activism and more in celebration of International Women’s Day! Starts 18:00 at Claypath Deli

Thursday 14th March: Art, Empathy and Breath Art can take your breath away. But does breathing play a role in our response to works of art — to pictures, poems, music — even when silent, unnoticed, unconscious? How are breath and artistic experience entangled? Exploring art and empathy, Peter Garratt from the Department of English Studies will discuss Vernon Lee (1856-1935) Starts 18:00 at Palace Green Library

Saturday 16th March: SLOW by Jamie Cook with installations by TOC The Occasion Collective (TOC) presents SLOW by Jamie Cook & installations by TOC throughout Durham Castle. An immersive live sound performance and promenade with complex surround-sound textures channelled throughout Castle’s Great Hall, alongside transformative installations. Starts 19:00 at Castle College

Announcements

Bowes Museum Art History Course If you’d like to find out more about Art History then The Bowes Museum is running an introductory course which may interest you.  The Assistant Curator of Fine Art, Bernadette Petti, will be holding six sessions exploring the history, meaning and significance of different art works. £50 for the full course (six sessions), £10 for one session. Find out more here.

Follow Palatinate Visual Arts on Instagram here.

Want to be on the bulletin? Join our contributors group here, or email visual.arts@palatinate.org.uk

Image ‘The Last Supper’, a copy of Leonardo DaVinci by an Unknown Artist, courtesy of Gandalf’s Gallery on Flickr via Creative Commons

One thought on “Visual Arts Bulletin 4.3.2019

• Hello, Thanks for including the event at Durham Castle on Saturday. The event starts at 8pm, not 7pm, could you amend this please? The artists have the wtong time on their fb event, perhaps that’s where it came from. Many thanks, Hazel