University contacts police after stranger approaches students

The University has circulated a statement informing students that a man claiming to be associated with Durham University has approached several students on college grounds and in the city.

In an email to Castle and St. Cuthbert’s Society students, the University said: “We would like to make you aware that the University has recieved a number of recent reports from Durham students highlighting an individual that they consider to potentially be a cause for concern.

“It has been reported that on a number of occasions, at a number of locations across the city, a man has initiated conversations with passing students, seemingly with the aim of offering unpaid internships.”

Palatinate understands that one student who was approached was told that the stranger was the convenor for an Agricultural Economics module, which does not exist.

“These exchanges have (fortunately) not amounted to any criminal act, so they are unable to intervene at this stage”

Durham University

“This individual has given the strong impression that he is linked to or works at Durham University – which the university can confirm is not the case,” the University’s statement continued.

“On occasion, without permission or regard for University Covid-19 regulations, this individual has accessed college buildings in order to continue these conversations.”

The report also stated that several students “felt pressured by this individual into disclosing personal information, and have reported that they late regretted doing so.

“Please be aware that the police have been informed about these concerns, however, to date, these exchanges have (fortunately) not amounted to any criminal act, so they are unable to intervene at this stage.”

Image: University College