Trevelyan’s Women on treble hunt

trevsBy

In women’s football, there can be no doubt which team has dominated this season.

After two wins this week in cup semi-finals, the side are still in contention to win a historic treble; the Premiership, the Floodlit Cup, and the Knockout Trophy.

Palatinate spoke to captain Harriet Plows to discuss their season so far, and three games which will decide how pieces of silverware they come away with.

The success of this season was not wholly expected by Plows who explained that “we had a number of really influential players graduated last year and I remember when we were in the Floodlit Cup final we were talking about how we had to win because our team would probably not be as strong once they all left”.

Trevelyan currently sit top of the Premiership after five wins and a draw from their six games so far.

The only team who can catch them are long-standing rivals Collingwood, who they were scheduled to face in Februray for their last match of the season. Frustratingly the game was postponed, meaning that the league title is not quite yet in their grasp.

To dislodge Trevelyan from the top spot would require Collingwood to win the title deciding match when it is played next term.

In the Knockout Trophy final Trevelyan will face Grey who finished fifth in the Premiership this year. In their meeting last term, Trevelyan ran out comfortable winners 4-0, however the side are not taken their opponents lightly.

Plows said: “we watched Grey play a great match in their Knockout semi-final against Collingwood so we’re looking forward to our match against them”.

Meanwhile in the Floodlit Cup, Trevelyan will have to overcome either Stephenson or Castle to be crowned champions. Again, Trevelyan have beaten both sides already this season winning 3-1 against Stephenson and 3-0 against Castle, respectively.

Plows expressed her regret at not being able to gain cup revenge on Collingwood, saying:

“I’m a little disappointed…we’ve been in, and lost, the last three Floodlit Cup finals to Collingwood so it would have been great to have my last ever Floodlit Cup final against them.”

However the Trevelyan captain agreed that they need to be wary of all their opponents, explaining: “when it comes down to the pressure of a final, any team will be tough to beat”.

Success this year for the club has largely been due to an excellent intake of freshers, and excellent coaching, including DUWAFC’s Jen King.

Plows said: “​Krissy Emmanouilides has had a hand in scoring or assisting a large chunk of our goals this season…Krissy and Abby Carrington have been great additions to the team and have done a great job playing as much college football as they can alongside University commitments.

“I also think that recruiting Kaleigh Du Vernet as our goalkeeper has made a really big difference; in tight games it really makes a difference having someone in goal who is confident enough to come out and get the ball.”

“We’ve had the same back-four for three years now which is a pretty solid foundation for the rest of the team.

“We’ve always had coaches from the men’s football club and this year Chris and Alistair have been amazing, plus we have Jen King who has been running really great sessions and offering invaluable advice.”

Women’s Knockout Trophy final: Sunday 16th March at 10:45

Photograph: Trevelyan Women’s Football Club