Tortilla’s Durham opening day sees huge queues

Mexican restaurant Tortilla opened its first Durham establishment on Friday 18th November, located on Silver Street, just off Market Square. Their promise of a free lunch on opening day saw large queues outside the restaurant, with estimates of over 100 people in attendance.

Tortilla’s offering includes burritos, tacos, nachos and quesadilla. They claim that “product customisation is key… customers can build their own meal with customisable elements of each dish.” The founders say that they’ve brought their unique Californian and Mexican style to the UK. 

Loyalty card members can also get £1 tacos on “Taco Tuesday”

Diners on a budget will be delighted with the new opening as many of the restaurant’s main meals in Durham cost less than £7. Loyalty card members can also get £1 tacos on “Taco Tuesday”. Like many restaurants in Durham, Tortilla will offer eat-in or takeaway service.

In a statement, the restaurant said: “We are hugely excited to be opening a site in the centre of thriving Durham. The location we have acquired in the city centre is a popular spot and will provide locals and visitors with a convenient and delicious option for lunch or dinner.”

Tortilla, which first opened its doors in 2007 in Islington, was founded by two partners from San Francisco. It quickly expanded across London and then the UK, and now has more than 60 restaurants. 

Support Palatinate