The top picks for week two of the Edinburgh fringe 2015

Beth Holmes (Bernadette) in 'Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons'.
Beth Holmes (Bernadette) in ‘Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons’.

Edinburgh fringe is certainly a haven for new writing. Whilst not all necessarily succeed, many are extremely refreshing and experimental pieces. The best way to do Edinburgh fringe is certainly to pack your day with shows. I happened to see the following three shows, which have subsequently become my three personal favourites, on the same day. Seeing them essentially one after the other, these three certainly set that day, and my entire fringe experience, alight.

12:30 – Ross & Rachel

Whilst the play obviously references Ross and Rachel from Friends, you certainly don’t need to know the show to really understand what is at the heart of this performance. Uncompromising in its honesty about the reasons why people stay together, this show is utterly heartbreaking. Molly Vevers managed to deliver this duologue seamlessly and with utter clarity throughout, and her performance really speaks for itself. My must-see for the Edinburgh fringe this year.

Until 31 August at Assembly George Square Theatre (Venue 8), Edinburgh; £9.00.

16:00 – Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons

Completely not what I expected. Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons’ branding was so ambiguous that it’s semi-surprising they have been able to draw in such large audiences. Word of mouth, and previous success clearly works wonders. However, the fact they didn’t employ the type of marketing which too frequently gives away everything, meant you had little expectations walking in, which kept the content extremely refreshing. A consistently clever, thought-provoking piece which had my mind buzzing and somewhat subconsciously conversing with the piece throughout. A perfect subject matter in a day and age where we have so many modes for expression, and yet still manage to say so little. Brilliantly executed.

Until 22 August at ZOO Southside (Venue 82), Edinburgh; £9.00/(Conc.) £7.00.

23:35 – Get Your Shit Together

Get Your Shit Together gives a surprising lease of life onto what could be a very obvious take on a stereotypical group of characters. It taps into very modern woes of our ill-fated dating scenes, especially with crowd-favourite ‘Secret Santa’. It is also very heartfelt in parts, which is certainly aided by some beautiful voices amongst the cast, which evoked both jealousy and awe amongst the audience. There were also roars of very genuine laughter throughout a comparatively small audience. In fact, if there’s something this musical certainly deserves, it’s a bigger audience.

Until 30 August at Underbelly, Cowgate (Venue 61), Edinburgh; £9.00/(Conc.) £8.00.

Photograph: Aenne Pallasca