The top picks for week three of the Edinburgh fringe 2015

Jonny Donahoe in 'Every Brilliant Thing'.
Jonny Donahoe in ‘Every Brilliant Thing’.

Dominic Williams chooses the shows which would comprise his perfect four-show day at the Edinburgh fringe 2015; here are his top picks.

14:05 – Every Brilliant Thing

Every Brilliant Thing, in the Roundabout tent at Summerhall, pitched its audience interaction perfectly. It is a one-man show, telling the character’s life-story based around a list he began writing of “Every Brilliant Thing” to persuade his mother away from suicidal feelings. The audience naturally begins to empathise with the character thanks to the direct story-telling style. Although the language and message of the piece is stark, the intimacy of the venue makes for very clear drama. Even the tent, designed by Lucy Osborne over a period of four years for Paines Plough, is worth a gander. It is run off a single socket, fits over 200 people, and can be put up in less than a day by a couple of people. One for the techies and anyone interested in a human story (all of us?!).

Until 30 August at Roundabout @Summerhall (Venue 26a), Edinburgh; £10.00-£17.00, depending on the day.

18:00 – Trygve Wakenshaw: KRAKEN 

Kraken was a wonderfully imaginative and hilarious show. It is a one-man physical theatre clown piece without many words. If this doesn’t sound like your thing – it didn’t sound like mine – still go and see it. It contained the most inventive and creative thought out of the fringe shows I saw. Part-mime artist and part sketch artist, Wakenshaw strung together apparently unconnected scenes and actions seamlessly. A lesson in timing, comedy, and playing on the audience’s mind.

Until 30 August at Underbelly, Cowgate (Venue 61), Edinburgh; £12.50/(Conc.) £11.50.

Trygve Wakenshaw in 'KRAKEN'.
Trygve Wakenshaw in ‘KRAKEN’.

20:30 – Trainspotting 

Trainspotting, based upon the hit novel and film by Irvine Welsh of the same name, was a truly visceral experience. We were made to queue up for entry into a disused warehouse space at the back of the Assembly George Square complex. Wearing our glow-in-the-dark wristbands, surrounded by ravers gurning to thumping dance hits, we were immersed in the tough Edinburgh world of fighting, binge drinking and drug addiction. Coupled with the harrowing storyline, Trainspotting is unmissable.

Until 31 August at Assembly George Square Studios (Venue 17), Edinburgh; £15.00/(Conc.) £13.00. Performances are also running at 18:00 and 22:45 in the same venue.

22:40 – The Horne Section’s Questions Sessions

The Horne Section was as polished as you’d expect a band which has had three series on Radio 4 to be. Led by stand-up comedian Alex Horne, they demonstrated that music does have a place in comedy. Horne is the quizmaster, presiding over two other stand-up comedians who fight it out for the heaviest bowl of points, points being measured in fruits (the pineapple had the swing-vote). Although it may sound (and is) contrived, the sharpness of Horne and the carefully thought-out banter meant that this was my stand-out comedy show. Go along and learn the difference between a Chinese wave and a Mexican whisper.

Until 29 August at Gilded Balloon (Venue 14), Edinburgh; £12.00-£15.00, depending on the day.

Photographs: Mihaela Bodlovic for ‘Every Brilliant Thing’, Fraser Cameron for ‘KRAKEN’.