Team Durham celebrate brilliant season

by Daniel Johnson

Team Durham looks set to equal their best ranking this season. They currently rank in 4th place in the overall table, which would tie the current record achieved in 2007-8. Five teams finished top of their respective Northern Premiership, and four went on to lift the trophy after the knockout stages.

The men’s Rugby, Lacrosse, Hockey and Basketball teams all finished top of their premierships, with the Rugby Club producing the first unbeaten season in their history. In addition, the women’s tennis team finished a fine season in first place. In the knockout stages Women’s tennis were again victorious, as were the men’s lacrosse, men’s rugby at Twickenham, and women’s lacrosse.

The real strength of Durham sport this year was shown by the number of near misses that did not result in headline-grabbing last-minute victories. Men’s hockey finished yet another strong season in the final, women’s basketball won the third and fourth play-off, and both women’s hockey and men’s tennis reached the semi-finals. The Women’s basketball team deserves particular praise for winning the North 1A division, meaning that they will compete in the Northern Premiership next season – an achievement replicated by the men’s tennis team.

Speaking to Palatinate a few months ago, Team Durham Director Peter Warburton stated that Durham’s long-term goal was to be in the top three consistently. While that has not quite been achieved this year, on the evidence of this season it will not be long before that goal becomes a reality.