Sugar, spice and all things nice: Valentine’s cocktails

By Sapphire Demirsöz

It was once said by Carl Gustav Jung that the meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. One can seem to be so strong on their own but – my gosh – the lightest touch from a spicy little minx can make a world of difference.

The idea of these exquisite pairings joining together and becoming something magnificent and new is quite romantic. From a scientific point of view any complimentary duo has the ability to turn into something phenomenal, which got me thinking about the amorous art of mixology. Gin, vodka, tequila, rum: they all have their fabulous properties, but the addition of a special tonic can transform them into something phenomenal.

The run-up to Valentine’s Day is the best time to experiment with drinks-mixing – with all of those exciting Valentine’s feelings it seems only right to concoct a cocktail which is equally fizzy, and a fruity and flavoursome tonic is the essential addition to keep your drink sparkling!

Sugar & Spice Cocktail: Cranberry and Ginger tonic

A cranberry and ginger tonic combination perfectly intertwines a tangy yet sweet and sumptuous cranberry fizz with the light summery spice of aromatic ginger, making it the perfect companion to any rich gin.

Ingredients

50ml cranberry tonic

50ml ginger tonic

50ml gin

To serve

To compliment the natural sweet and spicy combination, dust sugar on the rim of your cocktail glass and add a slim sliver of zesty lemon.

Sharp & Sweet Cocktail: Pomegranate tonic

A deep pomegranate tonic provides body to any cocktail, with a profile that straddles sharpness and sweetness, flattering a shot of fiery vodka.

Ingredients

100ml Pomegranate tonic

40ml vodka

To serve

To create harmony with the pomegranate’s natural tang, pop in a cherry for eye-catching colour and sweetness.

Hot & Spicy Cocktail: Ginger Beer tonic

If you want fizz, spice and sweet fiery heat this Valentine’s, a Ginger Beer tonic is the best mixer to add a hot juicy flourish to your cocktail, perfect with vodka, rum or on its own.

Ingredients

100ml Ginger Beer tonic

Optional: 50ml vodka or rum

To serve

Rim your glass with sugar to compliment the tonic’s spice, and a petite wedge of lemon to enhance its citrusy edge. Ice cubes are essential.

Happy Valentine’s Day all!

Photographs: Sapphire Demirsöz