Students spend more on books than booze

Photograph by

by

Students at Universities in the United Kingdom are more likely to spend money on books than on alcohol, a recent study has suggested.

A Credit Confidential poll found that on average, students spent £65.43 on alcohol during their first month at university. Over the same period, the average spent on books was £76.34.

New first year students appear much more money-conscious than in the past, spending an average of £40.93 on alcohol during the first month of their course, where as third years spent £65.24.

However, first year students spent a much larger proportion of their money on books than their third year counterparts; £86.59 and £73.09 respectively during the first month of university.

At Durham University, despite the newly refurbished library and ten per-cent discount available to students at Waterstones, many have found themselves struggling to find the money required to obtain all the books needed for their courses.

Sophie Boyle (2nd year modern languages) has spent over £140 on books so far this term including £70 on a textbook for beginners’ Spanish. Sophie said: “Having to buy all these books for my course, as well as all the module dossiers, has cost me a lot more than I thought it would. It has really meant that it’s a massive struggle to balance my budget.”

Similarly, Ben Woodhouse (2nd year law) said: “Every year we are told to buy new editions of our books which came to about £150 this year.”

However, this is not always the case. In an attempt to avoid these costs, some students try to put off buying the books they need for as long as possible. Daniel Hobbs (second year Economics) commented: “I still haven’t bought any books yet after spending so much on them last year and using them very little.

“I know that I’ll need to buy some again this year though.”

The Credit Confidential survey, questioning more than 700 students, also found that nearly a third had borrowed money from family and friends and thirteen per-cent have credit card debts.