Spotlight: Scott Bradlee and Postmodern Jukebox

Postmodern JukeboxEver heard a bluegrass cover of Nicki Minaj’s ‘Anaconda’? A cabaret version of Taylor Swift’s ‘Blank Space’? How about a 50’s sock hop version of MAGIC’s ‘Rude’? No? Then you really need to.

Meet Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox, YouTube’s latest sensation. With over 150 million views, they’re undoubtedly the next big thing.

Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox take your favourite contemporary classics and add the style and class of bygone days to the tracks you know and love. The most remarkable part of this? Well more often than not, they sound better than the originals.

The American group have not been around for very long, yet they have already achieved major success. They have had a streak of viral videos, released five albums in 2014 alone and have toured extensively across America and Europe.

I was lucky enough to see them live in Glasgow recently, in a beautiful little venue called Oran Mor. The experience of seeing them live was utterly brilliant and their showmanship was unparalleled in comparison to a lot of other artists I’ve seen. Hearing their live 60’s girl group rendition of Ellie Goulding’s ‘Burn’ was something else. Other highlights of the night were Scott Bradlee’s jazz version of the Game of Thrones theme, as well as an audience sing-a-long to the Family Guy theme tune. All in all, the night was very relaxed, without compromising the excellency of the music or showmanship. It’s safe to say that a Postmodern Jukebox is one of the few places you will find brilliant music, tap dancing and unmatched tambourine enthusiasm.

Alongside their main three singers (Robyn Adele Anderson, Cristina Gatti and Ashley Stroud) the group also have several guest singers and musicians who feature from time to time. Though all of them were superb,  honourable mentions must go to the smooth tones of Von Smith, the Motown powerhouse that is Morgan James and the dramatic, old Broadway voice of Puddles’ Pity Party. Not forgetting of course the Tambourine Guy (also known as Tim Kubart), who safely wins the award for the most enthusiastic tambourine playing ever seen.

So if you are looking for something a bit different, get on to YouTube and have a look at the genius of Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox. You certainly won’t regret it.

Picture: Scott Bailee and Postmodern Jukebox