Spennymoor appoint Tommy Miller as permanent first team manager

Spennymoor Town FC yesterday appointed interim boss Tommy Miller as first-team manager on a permanent basis.

The County Durham side, who currently reside in the National League North, the sixth tier of English football, said “it was a no-brainer giving Tommy the role on a permanent basis.”

Miller, who previously played for local teams Hartlepool and Sunderland during an illustrious 19-year career, initially joined the club as assistant manager in 2016. Following the shock departure of long-time manager Jason Ainsley in December 2020, the 42-year-old was put in interim charge of the team and oversaw a three-match unbeaten start to his tenure.

However, with increased Coronavirus restrictions and non-league football being temporarily suspended after December, Spennymoor were unable to build on Miller’s good start to his managerial reign.

Yet, despite the National League North having their season permanently null and voided, Miller’s transformation of the Moors during his short time clearly left an impression on the club’s hierarchy who have rewarded him with the permanent managerial role heading into the 2021/22 season.

Speaking via the club’s website, Tony Wilson, managing director at Spennymoor Town noted “Tommy’s professionalism and drive towards planning and building upon the great work he and Jason have done has been clear for all to see.”

“It was evident to us that Tommy’s ambitions matched the clubs, and his plans for the season ahead are clear. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that I am hoping for a complete season, with fans, and for Spennymoor Town Football Club to deliver its potential both on and off the pitch.”

Tommy Miller, also spoke to the club website and said he was ‘delighted’ at his full-time appointment.

“I would like to thank the Chief Executive, Brad Groves, and Managing Director, Tony Wilson, for giving me the opportunity, and I am looking forward to the challenge ahead.”

With no football currently, Miller’s attention will solely be towards building a squad and a philosophy ready to battle it out in the sixth tier of English football.

“I’m confident that with the players I bring into the football club alongside the group we already have, we can be right up there when it matters next season.

“The philosophy is simple for me. Winning football. Each game is different and each one brings its own challenges, so we have to be well prepared and be willing to fight for each other in order to reach our targets in what is a very competitive division.”

The National League North is set to begin on August 14 2021, with a complete fixture list expected to be announced in the near future.

Image: Spennymoor Town FC