Several University College blocks affected by power and hot water issues

An ongoing issue with power and hot water has caused disruptions at a number of University College accommodation blocks, including The Castle, Moatside and Owengate.

The issue has left Moatside and Owengate blocks with partial power but no hot water or heating. The Castle is without hot water and heating.

On University College’s Instagram story, a statement from Principal Wendy Powers told students that, “Northern Powergrid are aware of the issue and are working on immediate repairs on Saddler Street to fix the problem as quickly as possible.”

Neighbouring colleges, Hatfield, St John’s and St Chad’s offered warm spaces to affected students at different points in the evening to use as a social or study space or to charge appliances

Only one Owengate block has been told to move to alternative accommodation in Hild Bede due to a resultant issue with the fire safety system. The statement went on to reassure students that this was the only block in which the fire safety system has failed. 

With power still in the Castle, students were told that usual mealtime in the Great Hall would go ahead as usual, and they were also invited to remain there afterwards.

Students in powerless buildings have been told not to light candles in their rooms.

Neighbouring colleges, Hatfield, St John’s and St Chad’s have offered warm spaces to affected students at different points in the evening to use as a social or study space or to charge appliances.

The statement ended by assuring students that the issue will be sorted as soon as possible and instructing those with urgent issues to contact their porters.

Image: Beatrice Law