SciTech recommends: books, podcasts, films

Our contributor group came together to suggest the best science-themed podcasts, TV shows, books, and documentaries for you to enjoy. Try one of these recommendations over this week, and you may just learn something new! Have a piece of science media you love? Email scitech@palatinate.org.uk with a short review, and we’ll feature it here.

In your ears…

‘Ologies with Alie Ward’ is a rigorous and informative yet kooky podcast with episodes on topics ranging from paleontology and phonology, all the way to fulminology (lightning) and cryoseismology (glacier-related seismic events). 10/10 – I would listen to Alie and her “ologist” guests speak all day, every day!

‘Sidenote by AsapSCIENCE’ is an energetic weekly podcast covering a range of topics from the climate crisis to UFOs! It uses a combination of studies, anecdotes, and interviews to deliver engaging explanations, often interwoven with personal stories. Overall, a brilliant podcast featuring plenty of LGBTQIA+ representation which is wonderful to see in STEM.

Overall, a brilliant podcast featuring plenty of LGBTQIA+ representation

On the screen…

“My Octopus Teacher” is a Netflix documentary by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed. It documents Craig Foster’s almost “friendship” with a female common octopus in the South African Kelp forest. It’s an incredible insight into the intelligence of these creatures, as well as how they survive. Fair warning: it may make you cry.

On the page…

“Bad Pharma” by Ben Goldacre is a really enjoyable read. It’s very accessible and informative for anyone with an interest in the politics of healthcare. The book has a dry sense of humour throughout. Altogether, it’s definitely one of my top books and I’m looking forward to reading his other book, “Bad Science”.