Run to the Sun a resounding success

By Alana Ker Mercer

Deputy Sport Editor

Run to the Sun, a 24 hour continuous running fundraiser, took to Maiden Castle for their sixth annual event last Friday.

In aid of RTProjects, participants could choose to run in teams or individually across the twenty-four hour period, keeping the golden baton moving around the running track.

In addition to running, the event offered live music, fancy dress, face painting, arts and crafts and an induction to mindfulness sessions for all participants and spectators.

Undeterred by the rain, the event saw the combined squad from University College and St. Cuths win the team trophy for involvement, whilst one woman volunteered to perform the challenge single-handedly. Many participants ran in bursts of hour- long legs, with some students running throughout the night so to keep the baton in transition.

One woman volunteered to perform the challenge single-handedly

Founded by Beano Flude, RTProjects is a counselling and mental health charity based in Gilesgate at the ‘Open Art Surgery’. The charity aims to offer a social location within which those suffering primarily from depression or anxiety may choose to interact through the medium of art. Through offering an ‘inclusive environment’, the charity attempts to offer a situation away from the often ‘overbearing or intimidating’ medical world.

Those who seek out the charity are not required a referral and instead the charity seeks to discover what a sufferer may require in terms of aid to overcome or manage their illness.

The charity receives twenty volunteering students from Durham University, aiding an additional six external workers. Set up eleven years ago, RTProjects has recently expanded to participate with the ‘Never Give Up’ suicide intervention campaign, hoping to combat County Durham’s staggeringly high male-suicide rates.

Previously the event has raised over 5K, used to cover studio rent and supplies. Sadly due to adverse weather conditions, this year’s event saw a significant fall in the amount raised, however donations are still receivable until the 30th June, with Run To The Sun looking to return on a sunnier day next year.

Image by Beano Flude