Roaring back to the ’20s

Jazz Age aficionados look no further, because Gatsby’s back, and he’s looking pretty great…

With the long awaited remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s quintessential Jazz Age novel, The Great Gatsby, due for release this year, the fashion world is preparing to go ga-ga over the glitz and glamour of the roaring twenties.

The Great Gatsby follows the mysterious life of Jay Gatsby as he immerses himself in the sumptuous yet superficial world of 1920s New York, in an effort to rekindle romance with his lost love Daisy Buchanan whose voice is ‘full of money’. Widely considered a classic “American Dream” novel of personal quest, materialistic excess and inevitable tragedy, Fitzgerald’s influence remains pertinent to this day, still oozing the inspirational charm of effortlessly elegant chic.

In a world of economic prosperity, alcohol bootlegging and lavish parties, Gatsby’s girls understood the paramount importance of nailing a look.  Finally,Long Island fashion is making a comeback with the spring/summer catwalks giving a firm nod to Daisy Buchanan’s enviable upper class wardrobe. Gucci showcased a shimmering array of black, white and gold sequinned flapper dresses with drop-waists and beaded fringing, while Ralph Lauren catered his collection for both day- think cloche hats, patterned headscarves and silky florals, and night- add some feathers and gold art deco jewellery.

Riding on the riotous success of black and white silent film The Artist, footwear centres around classic takes on the curved “Louis” heel with girlish “Mary Jane” straps, while it’s all about the embellished purses and cigarette box clutch bags. Furthermore, if you’ve always fancied accessorising for a lazy summer picnic or classy cocktail party with a lacy parasol, your opportune moment has arisen.

Hope and promise, for Gatsby, takes the symbolic form of Daisy’s green dock light; for Durham students, it hovers on the horizon in the form of hazy summer balls, boozy formals and that all-important buzzword among finalists, “graduation”.

Already puzzling over what attire to indulge in? Then look no further than Durham’s own Sorella Boutique, with its pretty pastels and 1920s offerings. Soon we’ll be saying goodbye to exams, and hello to diamonds, daiquiris and decadence…

All dresses from Sorella Boutique, 89 Elvet Bridge, Durham

Coral maxi dress (£65)
Ivory beaded dress (£60)
Mint tier dress (£90)