Review: The KEITH. Podcast

★★★★☆

From one of Durham’s premier sketch groups comes a fun podcast streaming on Spotify. ‘The KEITH. Podcast’ stars two likeable members, and Mungo Russell, and is brilliantly produced by Fergus Carver. Full of pub-like chat, a handful of sketches and an agony aunt section, this podcast promises big laughs.

As the podcast goes on, Emily and Mungo mould into their roles as hosts, gaining confidence and increasing the podcast’s laughable nature. Therefore, I have high hopes for the rest of the series, where the pair are sure to get more into the swing of podcasting. The opening seems slightly held back, with nervous laughter and lots of swearing. From the start, audiences are aware that they are both encouraged to laugh at and with the KEITH members, with comical lines such as the podcast being the “alternative to seeing each other in person ever again.”

The first section feels like a conversation when you first a friend of a friend and they tell embarrassing stories about previous arguments. Emily and Mungo seem like a funny pair. The anecdote about their last fight over the ‘divisive’ nature of the semi-colon, both socially and in punctuation, is hilarious. Jokes such as these really help keep audiences engaged, as does the podcast’s speed, which is just faster than a normal conversation between friends.  

a professionalism that is often missed in student theatre

The frequent use of Durham in-jokes is a slight shame, as it limits the podcasts. The included sketches and agony aunt sections are hysterical and universal, so it is a shame that the brief chat at the beginning makes this podcast only relatable for a small audience.

That said, they are quite funny. For example, each time the Durham Revue is mentioned, intense sombre music radiates through the audio, highlighting the “tension” between the two comedy groups. The mention of well-known Durham destinations such as the Three Bridges connects student audiences to the podcast, and with Mungo being kicked out of there for wearing tracksuit bottoms, its necessary mention adds to the humour.

The only flaw in the piece is due to these Durham in-jokes. The way that the pair speak about a Babylon employee on such a public platform is questionable. This part of the conversation makes audiences feel uncomfortable which interrupts the flow of an otherwise enjoyable podcast.

The editing is superb. The choices to split up the sections show a professionalism that is often missed in student theatre. The addition of music makes the podcast laugh-out-loud funny, and each sketch is short and sweet, helping to capture the audience’s attention. ‘The KEITH. Podcast’ is a really easy listen, sure to make you smile and as Mungo Russell said, “we can’t leave our homes, you have no excuse not to.”

Image Credit: KEITH.