Image: Universal Pictures

Review: Pitch Perfect 2

Image: Universal Pictures
Image: Universal Pictures

After Beca Mitchell led the Barden Bellas from the bottom of the bass clef to the top of the treble clef in Pitch Perfect, it seems that they are back where they started in Pitch Perfect 2. Fat Amy’s shockingly out of tune entrance to their performance, which opens the movie, disgraces the group’s reputation in the world of A cappella. The film’s question is, can they come back on top?

The plot follows the lives of the Collegiate National A Cappella Champions: The Barden Bellas. Three years down the line their quest is to find harmony within the group and win the World Championships to regain their famous position in the A-ca-world of A Cappella. The much loved Anna Kendrick heads this blockbuster, playing main character Beca Mitchell as she pursues her own producing career secretly whilst writing for the Barden Bellas; however, her undisclosed activities prove to cause tension within the group. Rebel Wilson once again steals the show as the nation’s favourite Australian with her side-splitting performances for the Bellas whilst also having a special scene in which she serenades her Treblemaker partner.

The movie does not fail our expectations; quick-witted humorous jokes are shot around constantly, and goofy yet loveable girly moments are acted out whilst consistently well-choreographed and produced A Cappella numbers are performed from the onset and throughout. However, unlike the first movie there is a more equal emphasis on each character’s storyline, as opposed to just following Beca’s journey; instead there is an equal focus on the whole team. The addition of the new girl to the Bellas, known as the ‘legacy’, also creates a sense of novelty that is needed in a sequel movie. This sense of focus on all the Bellas is accentuated when the closing number of the movie sees the welcome back of generations of Bellas taking to the stage in a heartwarming and sentimental final song.

Director Elizabeth Banks has propelled Pitch Perfect 2 into the leader board of Box Office sales, coming in at number one this last bank holiday weekend in the British Cinema Box Office. Meanwhile in America, over Friday to Monday the cinematic sensation has earned $38.5 million, and now has reached over $125 million alone in the United States. In 2013 there were only three female directed Hollywood Studio released films, with this number increasing to five in 2014. Elizabeth Banks has penetrated a very niche and small group in Hollywood: the female directors. Banks claims that her children inspired her to produce and direct as she wanted to motivate them as young women.

Pitch Perfect 2 is a winner for the entire family. The cinema was completely packed in Newcastle when I went and it wasn’t just girls, despite what the boys admit! The humour verges on racist and sexist which makes it an all round winner for teenagers – but one must remember to take the slapstick jokes with a pinch of salt. The humour may come across as more shocking and controversial to the older viewer as it is aimed at an adolescent audience. The movie provides basis for the extent that cinema employs liberalism in terms of script and as a result Banks has successfully created a well-rounded and light-hearted comedy that is topping the charts internationally.

They’re back pitches.