Podcasts you should listen to this summer

Podcasts are the perfect way to unwind during the long summer months. Whether you are lounging by the pool, on your way to work or simply just trying to escape the ever-unpredictable British weather, podcasts are a great form of entertainment. I have listed below some of my current favourites, which I have been listening to this summer.

1. The History Chicks
    Feminism meets history in this detailed look at exclusively female figures of historical importance. Comedic in tone, this is the perfect listen for those who want a casual introduction to female characters, both fictional and factual alike. Each episode is around an hour, and the podcast itself has been going strong since 2011. From individuals such as Frida Kahlo and Mary the Queen of Scots to Pocahontas and the Schuyler sisters, ‘The History Chicks’ tells the stories of women of varying backgrounds, whilst dispelling any potential myths surrounding their legacies. Enjoyable both for hardcore historians, as well as those who just want to learn something new.

‘The History Chicks’ tells the stories of women of varying backgrounds, whilst dispelling any potential myths surrounding their legacies

2. TED Talks / Sincerely, X
    A classic option; you really cannot go wrong with TED Talks. With a wide-ranging scope of topics and varying speakers, these often-motivational speeches are the perfect pick-me-up for those stuck in a summer slump. Some talks which deserve a mention include ‘Is the world getting better or worse?’, a statistical and optimistic take on the notion of progress, and ‘Why I’m done trying to be “man enough”’, actor Justin Baldoni’s take on the meaning of masculinity in the modern world. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s ‘We should all be feminists’ is another important talk, which received wide public acclaim. TED podcasts can be listened to on the go, and range from inspirational and thought-provoking speeches, to comedic stories. Additionally, there is ‘Sincerely, X’; a side-project featuring anonymous speakers, and typically dealing with more taboo and controversial topics, as narrated by Sarah Kay. This is definitely worth a listen to, and puts a spin on the traditional ‘TED talk’. No matter the topic, it is almost certain that there is a TED talk on it, or indeed, there will be one soon.

These often-motivational speeches are the perfect pick-me-up for those stuck in a summer slump

3. Desert Island Discs
    With its first broadcast dating back to 1942, this BBC Radio 4 podcast has long been regarded as a national favourite. The concept is simple: each ‘castaway’ lists and explains their reasons for choosing the eight tracks, book and luxury item that they would take with them to a desert island. This unique way of interviewing allows the guests to ‘share the soundtrack’ of their life with the listener, all just in around 40 minutes. Famous figures are interviewed in an inventive and insightful manner, and reveal details about their life stories in the process. Recent uploads have featured celebrities such as Mary Berry, Derren Brown and Louis Theroux, and so it is obvious that there is something for everyone.

There is something for everyone

Whilst this list features some of my personal favourites, there are no limits to the different types of podcasts out there, and I would encourage anyone to try and give something new a listen this summer.

Photograph by whoalice-moore via Pixabay