Playoff joy for record-breaking Palatinates

teamdurhamThe final set of fixtures prior to the exam period saw a series of playoffs to determine where Durham sides will compete in the next academic year. The results were something of a purple patch for the Palatinates, with some staggering end-of-season performances culminating in the astonishing fact that no British university will have as many sides in Premier A Leagues as the 26 representing Durham in the 2015/16 season. Loughborough come closest with 25 but, despite this, the Palatinates will be unrivalled in their representation.

The women’s water polo side led the way, dispatching Warwick 15-3 away from home before claiming a 19-2 victory in the return leg to secure a first ever season for the team in the Premier League.

They are joined by the men’s futsal side, who will compete in the top division for the first time after beating both Manchester and Bangor convincingly. The women’s side will also feature in the top division – the inaugural edition of the tournament.

The badminton club took the tally of first-time top division sides to four, completing a fantastic season with 5-3 triumphs over both Edinburgh and Sheffield.

Photograph: Team Durham