People and Planet Society renews calls for Durham University to divest from fossil fuels

is a member of Durham University People and Planet Society.

Global Divestment Day 600x400Students at Durham have made fresh demands for the University to become fossil-free as part of Global Divestment Day, a two-day international campaign starting today that will see thousands of people from across the world call for institutions to stop investing in fossil fuels.

Durham University People and Planet Society’s participation in the campaign comes after Professor Ray Hudson, Acting Vice-Chancellor, confirmed that the University has no plans to cut its ties with the fossil fuel industry.

Since his statement, the People and Planet Society have pushed for the University to divest.

Tara Wight of the Durham People and Planet society said: “It seems ridiculous that we’re invested in fossil fuels when we are so ahead in scientific research.

“We know burning carbon causes climate change and we know there are better technologies. It doesn’t make sense.”

Throughout today and tomorrow the society is raising awareness of divestment and gaining signatories for their petition that urges the University to divest from fossil fuels.

Across the University there will also be a series of academic talks, debates and workshops related to divestment and energy consumption.

Elsewhere in the UK, local authorities are set to face a series of public demonstrations, with hundreds planning to descend on London City Hall in carnival style.

The banking sector will also come under pressure, as over a thousand people move their money out of banks with ties to the fossil fuel industry.

Faith groups are taking action too. Earlier this week, the Church of England received two early Valentines Day cards from Christian organisations asking it to divest its £60 million holdings in fossil fuels.

Institutions from around the world that have already broken their ties with the fossil fuel industry include 38 cities, 69 religious institutions, an increasing number of universities (last month the University of Bedfordshire announced its intention to divest) and even the Rockerfeller Brothers.

Photograph: