Pamper Yourself: 8 Places for You to be Your Own Lover

By:

Travelling alone can be an enriching and amazing experience. If you find yourself alone this Valentine’s Day, don’t be afraid to embrace and enjoy your own company. These are just a few destinations that are sure to leave you weak at the knees. 

1. The Nordkette, Austria.

The beautiful Nordkette mountain lies at the heart of Innsbruck, and from the bottom of Congress Innsbruck to the top at Hafelekar, a round trip costs just €32. Get a good spot in your cable car, from which you can see the lively Inssbruck Old own, and if you’re lucky enough spot a bird of prey along the skyline (see featured image). The rides stop at three main stations: Hungerburg, Seegrube and Hafelekar, and all three boast glorious views. The highlight, though, is the middle station, where you can enjoy the sledging. Of course, this trip is not over until you reach the peak of 7,401 ft. – where you can witness a truly breath-taking sunset.

1. The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland

A tunnel of intertwined beech trees planet in the eighteenth century, this romantic setting comes straight from the pages of your favourite fairy-tale. Situated on Bregagh Road, you can also pay a visit to the pleasant Ballymoney town.

JWLLL

1. Strasbourg, France

Forget La ville de l’amour: Strasbourg is where you should be headed this Valentine’s. Be sure to visit the Barrage Vauban: originally a defensive barrage built in the 17th century on the River III, it now offers picturesque views of Les Ponts Couverts and La Petite France. The latter is a lovely quarter of the city where you can soak up the medieval architecture, boasting both German and French influence, whilst Notre-Dame Cathedral, with all its gothic grandeur, will transport you straight into an epic romance novel.

1. Jiufen, Taiwan

Taiwan, with its incredible variety of street food and very friendly vendors, is ever famous. However, whether or not you’re a fan of Miyazaki’s blockbuster, Spirited Away, Jiufen is the village you should visit. Here you will discover quaint streets, charming and unique bathhouses and teahouses, and lots of stairs! The view at night is spectacular, with illuminating lanterns directing you through the streets.

1. Rodanthe, USA

Located on the Hatteras Island off the coast of North Carolina, Rodanthe encloses some scenic beaches perfect for finding your personal zen. For panoramic views of the ocean, stay in the iconic Serendipity Beach House. With its deep blue shutters and gorgeous wooden exterior, the house has survived through Hurricane Bill.

1. Arthur’s Seat, Scotland

With no partner to slow you down, you can conquer Arthur’s Seat in no time. Don’t rush for the views, though, as the climb can be just as enjoyable as reaching the destination.

1. Széchenyi Medicinal Bath, Budapest

2000 years ago in Hungary, the Romans discovered hot springs. But it wasn’t until the 16th century that the Ottoman Empire brought this geothermal experience into the country. This one-hundred-year old bath offers eighteen pools in an elegant Neo-Baroque palace. This is certainly the place to treat yourself this Valentine’s, with basic massages offered at just €18 (if you come alone that means you can get two, right?). 

1. Bibury, England.

Arlington Row, a row of 17th century weavers’ stone cottages, are perhaps the most photographed cottages in the country – and that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Bibury. This picturesque little village is sure to enchant.

Photographs: