Poll indicates over a third of students forced to isolate in a fortnight as cases rise almost 400%

Over a third of students have had to isolate in the last two weeks as data shows that the rolling rate in Durham City, as of 17th June, was higher than at any time since October 2020.

In a survey of 143 students by Durham Polling between 18th and 22nd June, 36% answered “yes” to the question “Have you had to isolate in the last two weeks?”.

Between 10th and 17th June, cases in Durham City rose by 385.5% to 267, giving a rolling rate per 100,000 of 1844.8. The last time the rolling rate exceeded 1000 was in October.

17th June is the most recent data available on the government website; given the rate of increase and upwards trajectory, the figures for now are likely to be higher.

Durham City here refers to a Middle Super Output Area, a local area used for NHS data, which does not include Gilesgate or Neville’s Cross where many students live.

341 cases among students and staff have been reported to the University in the 10 days to 21st June. From University data, the seven-day rolling average, the total cases in the last seven days divided by seven, is 39.9 cases per day.

Statistics from the University are only cases reported via Banner Self-Service, and therefore the number of confirmed cases is likely to be higher.

The University has urged students to remember “Hands, Face, Space, Fresh Air” and to take a weekly PCR test alongside 2 LFTs per week. PCR tests are available are available at Territorial Lane, another close to Josephine Butler College, and a third near Wharton park and the train station. These can be booked by all students, even if asymptomatic, via the government website.