One minute’s silence to be held tomorrow for Day of Reflection

A minute’s silence will be held tomorrow at 12 noon to mark one year since the beginning of the first national lockdown. 

The Day of Reflection will also include ‘A Short Reflection on Grief, Support and Covid-19′ which will be hosted by Professor Douglas Davies and Professor Stephen Regan over Zoom at 3pm.

Durham Castle will be lit up yellow at 8pm on Tuesday as part of the ‘Beacon of Light’ initiative in unity with workers who manage public buildings. Participants in this initiative are invited to shine lights from their homes in remembrance of the people who have died during the pandemic and to show support for those experiencing bereavement. 

In an email sent to all students and staff, Durham University Vice-Chancellor Professor Stuart Corbridge said: “The National Day of Reflection is a time to remember what a challenging year it has been for so many of us.”

“It is a time to look back and reflect on what we’ve lost and the pain of what we’ve collectively been through.”

Professor Stuart Corbridge

“It is a time to look back and reflect on what we’ve lost and the pain of what we’ve collectively been through.  

“I know that some of you will have lost family members, other loved ones or close friends, and this is a cause of continuing deep sadness and regret.  And many of you will have struggled at times with the difficulties of social isolation, of combining caring responsibilities with your academic studies.  

“It is very important that we as a community acknowledge these challenges and continue to support each other.“