Mitchell Street murder suspect charged

On Thursday the 19th of March, a semi-homeless man on crutches was stabbed to death near the bus station in Durham City centre. A suspect charged with murder has now been taken into custody.

The victim was 41-year-old Christopher Ritchie, who the police believe will be recognisable to many Durham residents, and was found near the entrance to the bus station with two fatal stab wounds.

Paramedics were called and the victim was pronounced dead at the
scene shortly after their arrival. The streets surrounding Durham bus centre remained cordoned off for most of the day whilst police worked to investigate the circumstances of the death.

A suspect, Jonathan Morgan, has been charged with the murder and appeared in court this week. Morgan entered no plea, so will be remanded in custody until the case returns to court on September 7.

The suspect was a resident of Allergate, less than a two-minute walk
from the scene of the crime.

Detective Chief Superintendent Adrian Green has asked for witnesses to come forward, and stated “Many people will recognise him, he does have metal NHS crutches, and I am appealing for anyone who saw him on that morning to come forward”.

“He would do anything for anyone and would never hurt anyone.”

The victim’s family has paid tribute, with his mother Jean saying that “Christopher was kind-hearted and generous. He would do anything for anyone and would never hurt anyone. He was a loving son, brother and dad and we all love him to bits.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call Durham Constabulary on 101, quoting incident reference 56 of March 19. Alternatively, information can be passed on anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800-555-111.

Image: Malc MacDonald via Creative Commons