Man dies following incident at Loveshack nightclub

A police investigation is underway after a man died following an incident in the early hours of Sunday morning at Loveshack nightclub.

In a post on their Facebook page, Durham Constabulary stated that officers were called to the nightclub, located in the Walkergate area of the city, shortly after 1am following reports of a disturbance inside the premises involving a number of people.

“When officers arrived it was found doorstaff had detained two men and escorted them outside. However, shortly afterwards it became clear one of the men was in distress and having difficulty with regards to his health,” the Facebook post states.

“Together with paramedics, the officers administered immediate first aid for a period of time until the man was taken by ambulance to the University Hospital North Durham.

“However, the condition of the 54-year-old man deteriorated and a few hours after he was admitted to hospital he sadly died.”

A post-mortem examination is reportedly due to be carried out today to establish a formal cause of death. The victim is not being formally identified at this stage.

Police have arrested a total of seven men on suspicion of manslaughter, and one other man for a public order offence. The eight men are in custody at three separate police stations across the county.

“An incident room has been set up and I am appealing for anyone who saw what happened to come forward,” Lee Johnson, Detective Superintendent, said.

“As part of our enquiries we will also be studying CCTV from the cameras both inside and outside the club itself.

“We are in the early stages of our enquiries and trying to build up a complete picture of what led to the initial disturbance and then the events which happened outside. I would urge anyone who can assist to contact police via 101.”

Photograph: Durham Constabulary