LGBT+ in Egypt: TV presenter arrested for interviewing a gay sex worker

By Charlotte Alt

Mohammed el-Gheiti, an Egyptian TV presenter, was charged with a one-year jail sentence and a fine of 3,000 Egyptian pounds (£130), for interviewing a gay sex worker.

it represents yet another blow against freedom of expression

El-Gheiti aired an episode of his chat show “Wake Up”, in which a male sex worker talked about his relationship with another man, but especially expressed his regret at being a prostitute.

Homosexuality is not illegal in Egypt, yet homosexuals are often persecuted under charges of pornography, prostitution or debauchery. Additionally, the Supreme Council for Media Regulation banned the appearance of homosexuals on any media outlet in 2017.

Lawyer Samir Sabry accused El-Gheiti of publicising the idea that practicing homosexuality” could lead to financial gain. The Misdemeanour court in Ginza consequently sentenced him on account of ‘promoting homosexuality, incitement to debauchery and immorality and contempt of religion.’

Amnesty International described this incident as sending a “dangerous message,” as “it represents yet another blow against freedom of expression, the LGBTI community and diversity in Egypt.”

Egypt’s government increased their crack down on the LGBT community following a concert of the Lebanese pro-LGBTI band Mashrou Leila in 2017, after which 57 people were arrested because a rainbow flag had been shown during the concert.

Image by Hossam el-Hamalawy via Flickr